Tuesday, February 2, 2010

37 Weeks!

I had my 37 week appointment today (February 2- 37 weeks & 3 days to be exact), & once again, everything looked great! We had a little confusion which could have been frightening (I'll get to that in a minute), but in the end, everything worked out fine.


First of all, let me say that I find it hard to believe that a person could gain 2 pounds in 5 days, but that is what their scale told me today. Soooooo, if it is in fact correct, that brings the total up to 25 pounds, & that is enough, in my opinion. OK, moving on... My blood pressure was 90/70, & my Group B Strep test was negative (yay!). Lily's head was down, & the doctor showed Jeff how to feel for it- he said "Sorry Babe, but I think she has a big head." :) The doctor asked us each how big we were at birth, & didn't have much to say after we responded, except to give us a smile. Let's just say we can start making bets that Lily will be at least an 8-pounder! (She also told us a slightly scary story about a woman who was 5'8" who delivered a 10 lb 12 oz baby a few weeks ago.)


So then she goes to check Lily's heart rate, but it wasn't where it should have been if she were head down. So the doctor searched for a little while with the doppler, & finally found it near my sternum. She didn't say much (although I noticed the worried look on her face) except, "Well, unless this baby is tricking me, & I was actually feeling her butt, it looks like she's head up." She took us into another room to do an ultrasound just to make sure. And sure enough, Lily was tricking her- her head was down, although her body was positioned in a "C-shape", where her spine was on the left side of my body (if you were looking at me), & her feet were off to the right. Her heart was just a little higher & off to the side than the doctor guessed it should be.


So after that confusion was cleared up, we were free to go. I'll get my first internal exam next week, but the doctor did make sure to tell us at the beginning of the appointment that first-time babies tend to like their surroundings- "They're warm, in a dark place, laying in a pool, being brought food, & are able to pee where they lay. We don't start giving eviction notices until you're 41 weeks along." :) I like this doctor's sense of humor!


So everyone at work is picking days that they think Lily will be born, & a few people have asked me if I have any feelings about when she'll arrive. I really don't have any feelings one way or another, but I'm siding with the doctor & assuming that she will either be close to on time or late.


The next appointment is on Wednesday, February 10! Looking forward to it- they help me count down the days!


Love, Ashlee, Jeff, & Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment