Wednesday, February 24, 2010

40 Weeks!


On Monday, February 22, we had a 40 week & 2 day appointment. Yes, that's right- over 40 weeks. Lily decided that she didn't want to make her debut on her due date, which we figured she wouldn't, but were still hoping for anyway! Once again, everything looked great- my blood pressure was 110/80, I didn't have any weight gain (yay!), she's still head down, & I measured at 40 weeks. We did a non-stress test, where I had 2 external monitors placed on my abdomen- one to monitor her heart rate, & one to monitor my contractions. Her test showed that her heart rate was anywhere between 130s & 160s, she was not in distress & moved around appropriately, & I had a few contractions during the 30 minutes I was monitored.


During the physical exam, I was really bummed out by the "progress" I had made- 1.5cm dilated (only 1/2 cm from the last 2 weeks!), & still 60% effaced & at -2 station. I thought for sure that I would have had something better to report than that!


The doctor talked with us about setting up an induction date in case Lily decides not to come on her own. It is generally not considered safe to let a baby gestate for more than 42 weeks, because the amniotic fluid is not as copious, the placenta starts deteriorating, & the baby can just become too big. We have a scheduled induction date for Wednesday, March 3, but we are both praying & hoping that she will come on her own before then. I really don't want to be induced, but know as a medical professional that I will do whatever is necessary to make sure that she is healthy & not in any distress. On that day (if we make it that far), I will be 41 weeks & 4 days, so it will be just a few days shy of Lily being 42 weeks along.


We asked the doctor to give us a gauge as to whether she thought it was possible for me to go into labor on my own, although we understand she doesn't have a crystal ball to refer to! She said that if I was having some good contractions every day, it was possible for me to go into labor on my own. Bad news: I'm NOT having "good" contractions every day. I have some contractions every day, but definitely not a run of contractions that I would call good. Except for yesterday; I had some good contractions from about 3 in the afternoon until 9:30 at night. However, you see that I'm still here available to update the blog, so you see where that run of contractions got me!


I'm trying to stay positive, but it gets harder & harder to do so knowing how close you could be to seeing your first child after carrying her around for 10 months. However, there are a few events happening this week that I'm crossing my fingers might bring her out sooner than her induction date: there is a low pressure system moving through our area today & tonight which will bring some snow, & there is a full moon happening on Sunday, February 28. I know, I know, it may be a long shot, but we've tried everything we can to get her to come, from the doctor's advice to old wives' tales, so now we're just hoping that atmospheric events will do the trick!


We do have a 40 week picture to share, but are having difficulties with our home internet. I'm updating this at work, & am unable to upload the picture. So, check back soon & hopefully I'll be waiting there at the top of the blog for you!


Keep us in your thoughts & prayers as we enter what is definitely the home stretch!
Love, Ashlee, Jeff, & Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment